Monday, December 2, 2013

Counterfeit Cabs

Recently, I was running a little late to work and I thought that I would take a cab instead of waiting for the bus. So, I walked to an intersection and tried to hail a cab. Since it was rush hour, all of the cabs were full. Then, I heard someone yell “Hello!” I looked over and a man is motioning for me to get into his car. I told him “No thank you,” and continued to try to hail a cab. Well, he just wouldn’t go away. After I refused him a second time, another man tried to lure me into his car. The two of them continued to pester me and I became very uncomfortable. I’m pretty sure I don’t look like a prostitute or a hitchhiker so, I couldn’t figure out why strange men were inviting me into their cars. In the end, I walked to the bus stop so, I wouldn’t be alone anymore. Then, the bus came and I went to work.

At work, I told my coworkers about my creepy encounters. It turns out that I was not being propositioned. I was being invited into a counterfeit cab. Beijing, home of counterfeit everything, is also home to a giant fleet of counterfeit cabs.

A counterfeit cab (aka a black cab, an illegal cab, or a gypsy cab) is an unlicensed vehicle acting as a taxi cab. I’ve heard that a lot of the counterfeit cabs are driven by former licensed taxi drivers. They just use their own vehicles for a side business. However, it is not safe to take one of these. There is no way to know if the driver is a violent criminal, a thief, a safe driver, etc. Plus, their prices are usually 2-3 times what a regular cab would charge.

It’s easy to distinguish between a regular cab and a counterfeit cab. The regular taxis are distinct looking. They are usually painted in a red/yellow, green/yellow or blue/ yellow combo. There are a few other designs but, these are the most common. Plus, they have a light up sign that says “taxi” on the roof. Another way to tell if a taxi is legal is to look at the car’s tag. All taxis in Beijing have a license plate that begins with B. Plus, real taxis typically don’t have tinted windows and counterfeit taxis usually have darkly tinted windows.(Hence, the name “black cab.”)


If you’re ever in Beijing, ignore the counterfeit cabs. Your wallet and your nerves will thank you. 

Counterfeit Cabs Outside of the Yuquanlu Subway Station on Friday Evening
__________

An Example of a Real, Licensed Cab
__________

The official "Beijing B" Taxi License Plate 
(The Chinese character says Beijing)
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment