Monday, November 25, 2013

Tourist Traps and Squirmy Snacks

Recently, I went to the touristy area of Wangfujing. Others had warned me that it was just for tourists; that no locals go there. Well, it was a total tourist trap but, it was a really fun and interesting tourist trap.

Wangfujing is a pedestrian only shopping section of Beijing. It is accessible using Line One of the Beijing subway. Just get off at the Wangfujing stop.

In in this neighborhood, the cool thing to do is to go down Snack Street. Snack Street is a collection of little alleyways that are lined with food stalls. Be ready for this. This is not like anything you’ve seen before. There is a lot of weird stuff on a stick.

While wandering through Snack Street, I saw all manner of odd and repulsive looking food. There were scorpions, snakes, starfish, seahorses, and one lizard, all on skewers, at various stalls. Many of the critters were still alive while speared and waiting to be grilled. It is not a place for the squeamish. Now, in the interest of full disclosure, I only ate some mini candied apples on a stick. So, I can’t say how any of the weird stuff tastes. Maybe it’s delicious and I really missed out on an exquisite delicacy. But, I’m ok with this.

Interspersed with the food stalls are larger souvenir stalls and shops. If you’re looking for souvenir type trinkets, like little tea sets or Mao magnets, this is a good place to load up. However, just remember to bargain. It seems like none of the prices are set in stone so, be ready to haggle.

After the gawking at the food stalls and souvenir shopping, I hit the Western style mall. Here, I found Gap, Sephora, Zara, and many other familiar brands. I also found a large bookstore with a huge English language section. The store is called the Wangfujing Bookstore. There were also several stores that sell Chinese brands of clothing and shoes. If you need to shop for clothes, this is a popular shopping destination.

Once gawking and shopping were over, it was time to look for a restaurant. My friend, Kelly, and I ended up at a Peking Duck restaurant called DaDong Roasted Duck. The food was excellent! We had Peking Duck and hot pot. Both were great. Unfortunately, we had no idea how popular the restaurant is. As a result, we had to wait about 40 minutes for a table. But, it was worth it. The restaurant does, however, take reservations.


So, if you’re ever in Beijing and feel like being a total tourist, go to Wangfujing. It completely on the beaten path but, you’ll have a fun time.

Scorpions on a Stick. 
By the way, the scorpions were still moving!
__________

Some kind of Bug on a Stick
__________

Starfish on a Stick.
How do you even eat a starfish?
__________

Really Big Scorpions on a Stick
__________

Big Scorpions, Snakes, Seahorses, Starfish, Bugs, and Lizards on Sticks
__________

Yum!
Seriously, this will haunt my dreams for life.
__________
Our Complete Meal
__________

The Hot Pot
__________

The Platter of Stuff that Goes into the Hot Pot
(We'd already taken some off the ingredients off of the platter by the time I remembered to take a picture.)
__________

1/2 of an order of Peking Duck
You  take the crepe, put some duck in it, and then add some condiments from the condiment plate.
__________

Complimentary Candied Apples
__________

The Details of the Trip:

How to Get There (Source: Wikipedia)

* The Wangfujing Station of Beijing Subway Line 1 is located at the intersection of Wangfujing Street and Chang'an Avenue
* Bus and trolleybus routes 103, 104, 201, 211, 420 and 11 stop at New Oriental Market (东安市场) east of Wangfujing Street and at Wangfujing Intersection North (王府井路口北), near the southern end of the street. 
* Bus routes 10, 41, 59, 90, 99, 104, 120, 126, 203, 205 and 420 stop at Wangfujing on Chang'an Avenue.

Dadong Roast Duck -Wangfujing Location (Source: SmartBeijing.Com)

* Phone:  6528 8802
* Address:
6/F, 301 Wangfujing Dajie, 
(opposite the Wangfujing Bookstore),
Dongcheng District
东城区王府井大街301
京新旅大厦6楼(王府井书店对面

Website:  www.dadongdadong.com

3 comments:

  1. That's not really chicken in your chicken chow mein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen! I don't know if you remember me-- I emailed you three years ago about teaching in Korea. Anyhoo, I'm happy to see you're in China; I actually stayed in a hostel pretty close to Wangfujing and got to try all of these foods! The mystery bugs above the starfish I *think* might be silkworm pupae, which are a bit popular in China, but they look a little different from the ones I ate. The starfish are supposed to be open and the inside bits eaten (no flavor, mushy), but I also tried the outside too (like a really dry fishstick). Did you see tarantula while you were there? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat! Yes, I do remember you. Did you end up teaching in Korea?

      I didn't see any tarantulas but, maybe another time. Also, thanks for telling me about eating starfish. A friend actually asked me about it too.

      Delete