Monday, December 30, 2013

Restaurant Review: The Peak (Haidian District)

I live in Beijing, inside the city limits. However, I live on the edge of Beijing. So, my area looks more suburban than urban. As a result, finding foreign restaurants can be difficult in my neighborhood. Actually, finding more than a handful of restaurants of any type can be difficult but, that’s another post. Anyway, this is why I am happy to have found a great Western restaurant called The Peak.

The Peak is owned/ managed by a Chinese man named Henry. Henry lived in Toronto for several years. Because of this, Henry speaks good English and has a good grasp of North American food.
I know, many people find it odd that I came all this way and go to American restaurants. However, sometimes, you just want something familiar. Food that doesn’t require an interpreter and a sense of adventure can be nice sometimes.  Also, the Peak did a great Thanksgiving dinner and a great Christmas Eve/ Christmas dinner.


So, when I want a taste of home, I go to the Peak.  If you come visit me, I’ll take you there too. 

Here is a map of Beijing. I live on the left, in the red rectangle. The neighborhood with all of the cool restaurants is on the right, by the orange star. It takes me about 90 minutes to get there using public transportation.
__________

A Cheeseburger from The Peak.

Bruschetta from The Peak

Calatini (Calamari) from the Peak
__________

* Buses: 308, 212, 10, 958, 597, 546, 450
Ride the bus to the Lu Gu stop. Walk west for a few minutes, past the Disney English. You’ll see the sign.

* Subway: Babaoshan on Line 1

* Phone Number: 010-6864-7263

* Hours: Sunday to Thursday 11am to midnight
              Friday and Saturday 11am to 1am

If you read Chinese, here is a map and address for The Peak.
__________


Here are the buses that go by the restaurant.
__________


2 comments:

  1. Any Costco's around there for some good ol' American pizza or hot dogs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no Costco. I went to a Sam's Club once but, it didn't have an American style food court. Sam's Club was actually useless. It had few Western products that I couldn't find in a regular store.

    ReplyDelete