Monday, September 2, 2013

Baby Got Back

During my 2.5 weeks in China, I have seen more babies’ butts than I have during the rest of my life combined. This is because Chinese babies often wear backless pants without diapers or underwear. That is, if they are wearing any pants at all. I've also seen several babies without any clothing on below the waist. But, more seem to go the backless pants/ no undergarments route.

I started researching this and found that this has to do with a form of potty training called Elimination Communication. (This is also called Natural Infant Hygiene.) Basically, this is a way to avoid diapers and to keep children clean without them. Many people here believe that diapers, especially disposable diapers, are bad. They believe that diapers are expensive, bad for the environment, cause diaper rash, etc. So, they use the very old method of Elimination Communication.

Elimination Communication involved having a caregiver communicate with a child about when the child needs to go. They do this using timing, signals, cues, and intuition. To accomplish this, a parent or other caregiver will monitor a child’s elimination routine for a few weeks without the use of diapers. Then, they will gauge how often the child goes, the time of day, and any clues (for example, a facial expression) the child gives before they go. Also, the caregiver can teach the child signals to announce they must go. The caregiver can also give signals to the child to let the child know that they are in a bathroom area.  All of this leads to the child not needing diapers. They can simply be held over a toilet (or a bush in my neighborhood) to do their business.

Now, the backless pants come into play because there is only a small window of opportunity between when a child (really, a baby) gives a signal or some other clue and when they will go. So, the backless pants are so the caregiver can get the kid to an appropriate place before the kid goes and not have to bother undressing the kid.

Although I now know why the babies in my neighborhood are half naked all of the time, nothing will erase the memory of watching a three year old squat down on the sidewalk and defecate. The really bad part was that all his mother did was slide some newspaper under him to catch it. 

Here is an example of the backless pants. 
From: Yvonnebrill.tumblr.com
Note: This is not common in my area. I have yet to see a kid with backless pants and a diaper on. I just couldn't take a picture of what I usually see because it's creepy for adults to take pictures of strangers' half naked children.

__________

The tools of the trade for Elimination Communication.
From: ThePottyShop.com.au
__________


4 comments:

  1. So does this mean that a stroll down the sidewalk is a test of agility and eye sight? As a potty training mother, newspaper is an insufficient weapon to deal with the 'bombs' i face. Sometimes only a head to toe anti-bacterial shower will do the trick. Also, does one put a baby in backless pants in a car seat? Or hold a baby in backless pants in your arms? Those Chinese parents are braver that the rest of us : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sonia! From what I've seen, the babies do whatever they would normally do while wearing the backless pants. I've seen children being carried this way. I have also seen children in strollers this way. So, I assume they would also ride in a car seat this way too.

      Delete
  2. Funny enough, a lot of the rest of the world, especially in developing countries, use EC as their method of choice (and circumstance) for pottying young kids. If you think about it...what did WE do before diapers? Pampers are a "new" thing. Before that, cloth...and they were limited. A newborn is doing its business multiple times a day. Not enough diapers to keep up. So - in short, our fast-paced, I'll change you on my time attitude has been an evolved mindset. Before that, we were looking Chinese too...well, figuratively. More on the subject at godiaperfree.com for those interested. Great resources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Bentley, I have visited developing countries in South and Central America. I have seen disposable diapers and cloth diapers--but never have I seen anything like what happens in China. It's not bad, it's unique. You missed the point of this blog entry entirely.

      Delete