Monday, September 9, 2013

Give Me a Toot Toot

Beijing has a population of around 20 million. As a result, there are millions of cars, millions of bicycles and motorcycles, hundreds of bus routes, and 19 subways routes (some are still under construction though). None of this is unique. What is unique about Beijing are the many types of unconventional vehicles that can be seen on the roads. I have seen cars with three wheels. I have also seen what appear to be adult tricycles with a small truck bed attached. Some of these contraptions, like the wagon/tricycle hybrid, are true feats of engineering because this vehicle can somehow carry as much as a rather large pick-up truck.


Now, keep in mind, the average resident of Beijing does not traverse the streets in the wagon bed of a tricycle. Most people drive cars (Hyundai, Mazda, Nissan, and luxury European brands are the most common), ride a bicycle, take a taxi, or use public transportation. It is only a brave minority that will battle Beijing traffic in a three wheel car. While it’s not for me, I do admire their creativity and bravery.


This is the coolest tricycle I have ever seen. 
I'm not sure if it's electric or pedal powered. I have heard that these function as unofficial taxis and will give you a ride in the seat in the covered area. I have not actually seen this happening though so, I can't say for sure if this is true or not.
__________

My Neighbor's Three Wheel Car. 
I bet this is great on gas and wonderful to park.
__________

A tricycle with a flat bed attached to it. 
__________

A scooter with a little cargo area. 
This is actually the vehicle for a courier service. EMS also has trucks and vans.
__________

A scooter with a light load. 
__________

An electric tricycle with a flat bed.
__________

An electric scooter with a wagon bed.
__________

1 comment: