Monday, April 14, 2014

The Bread Basket

Growing up, my family occasionally visited Chinese restaurants. I liked the food. As I got older, I realized that Chinese food in American has been Americanized. So, when I came to Chinese, I knew not to expect to see any sweet and sour chicken or mu shu pork. I did not, however, expect to see any bread.

China, it turns out, has a lot of bread. Of course, there is the Western, imported stuff. But, there is also Chinese bread. In northern China, wheat, not rice, is grown. So, this part of China has bread and noodles. I never expected this.

A lot of the bread is different than what I’m used to. For starters, the bread is often steamed instead of baked. Also, there are several types of flatbread. Everything, though, has been good.


So, if you’re ever in China, remember to pass the bread basket!

ClassicwhiteMantou.jpg
__________

Deep Fried Mantou served with Condensed Milk Dipping Sauce -Yummy Dessert
__________

Baozi (Pronounced bowza) - This comes with a variety of fillings. 
__________

Spring onion pancake 2013.JPG
Cong You Bing - An example of Chinese flatbread
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment