Monday, March 10, 2014

Hot Pot = Hot Mess

The Swiss have their fondue. The Chinese, on the other hand, have hot pot. Hot pot is a dish where various meats, fish, vegetables, dumplings, and noodles are cooked in a communal, tabletop cauldron full of broth. Each region has a variation and it is mostly a winter dish.

For the last 1,000 years or so, the Chinese have been making hot pot. Based on my recent hot pot experience, it’s a good thing that the Chinese have other talents and specialties.

Recently, I tried hot pot at a restaurant called Dong LaiShun Muslim Restaurant. We ordered one of their combo meals for two. It was a bit expensive for Beijing, almost $50USD for the combo. To put this into perspective, we can usually eat a delicious lunch, with enough leftovers for a second meal, for around $20. So, this meal was about twice as expensive as a typical Chinese lunch. Unfortunately, it was less than half as good.

Our food wasn’t exactly terrible. It didn’t taste disgusting or foul. It was just tasteless. Our broth tasted like plain water. The meat, vegetables, and noodles also seemed to have absolutely no spices or seasonings. Plus, the meat had a really weird, sort of wild taste to it. The menu said lamb but, this meat did not taste like something that came from a farm. I imagine that is how lion would taste.

The restaurant is a very popular place. I’ve been there once before but, I left when I was told there was a two hour wait. So, it seems like others like the restaurant. I wonder if maybe they altered the meal in an attempt to suit our Western palates. I can’t imagine Chinese people, with their yummy, flavorful food, finding this bland meal acceptable.


If you come and visit me in Beijing, I’ll take you to the Peak. But, I will not take you to Dong Lai Shun Muslim Restaurant. 

Our Entire Meal 
__________

A Close Up of the Meal
__________

The Menu
__________

The Hot Pot Cauldron
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment