Monday, March 17, 2014

Contraband

Going to the post office in China is not like going to the post office elsewhere. I’ve mailed things from post offices in the US, South Korea, Brazil, and Spain. None of these countries have a system remotely like the Chinese postal system.

On Saturday, I went to the local post office to mail a few gifts the US. I knew from reading a book on Chinese culture that my package would be inspected so, I didn’t box anything up. I just brought my gifts and packing tape in a bag and planned on buying a box at the post office.

At the post office, I stood in line at the counter to buy my box. When I spoke to the clerk, I showed her the size box I wanted and waited. She waited too. After a confused minute of staring at each other, she finally indicated that she wanted to see what I intended to send. I showed her, thinking that she just wanted to see if everything would fit into the box. That’s not what she wanted at all. The woman looked at my items, very carefully, and started putting things into three piles. Finally, she pointed to one pile and say “Ok.” Then, she asked me what some other items were and, after I told her, she put them into the other pile. Next, she pointed at this pile and said “No.”

It turns out that almost none of my items were able to be sent through the mail system. From the way the woman acted, you would have thought I was trying to send a box of rattle snakes and plutonium. In reality, my banned items struck me as very tame. Here is a list of my banned items:
- Chocolate Chinese New Year Coins
- Two red envelopes which each contained a $10 USD bill.
- Face Cream (still sealed)
- A decorative, souvenir plate that said “Beijing” and had pandas on it
- Peanut flavored Chinese candy

Only two items, a t-shirt and some children’s art paper, were approved. The art paper, however, needed special approval from a second clerk because the pack came with a wooden stylus.  I ended up not bothering to send these items because it didn’t seem worth it to me to only mail 1/3 of the gifts.

After I checked the Chinese postal service site, I did find a list of prohibited items. It turns out that the Chinese postal system is surprisingly strict. They do not allow anything edible or any type of currency to be sent. So, that explains the red envelopes with cash and the candy. I cannot, however, figure out why the face cream and the souvenir plate were denied.


I know from having mail sent to me that packages sent into China are inspected. But, it turns out that packages leaving China are just as closely monitored. I’ll keep that in mind the next time I want to send a gift home. 

The Logo for the Chinese Postal System
__________



No comments:

Post a Comment