Monday, January 13, 2014

Schemes and Scams

Being Western in China means that I stand out. As such, people tend to notice me more than if I were in a Western country. Mostly, the attention is benign. People look a little longer than they normally would, then they go back to their business.  Occasionally, however, the attention goes a step further.

Like any big city, Beijing has scams. Plus, everyone in China knows that I’m an out-of-towner. So, the scam artists are drawn to my foreignness. They (rightfully) assume that I don’t speak Chinese and that I can’t really speak to the police. Also, they assume that all tourists carry cash on them. As a result, I sometimes get approached by those looking to make a quick buck.

The Art Exhibit

The art exhibit is a popular scam. I, myself, have been approached with this scam a few times.

For this scam, an English speaking, young Chinese person will approach you. They strike up a conversation and they seem really friendly. As the conversation is winding down, they tell you that they are an art student and some of their work is being exhibited nearby. Then, they invite you to their show.

Now, this is far as I have personally gotten with this scam. I am not going anywhere with a stranger because I have strong aversion to being murdered. However, I have read about this situation. Apparently, this scam can go a few different ways:

*You go to some half-baked art show and are strongly pressured to buy expensive, poorly made art.

*You go and decline to buy anything but, are charged an entrance fee.

*You go, decline to buy, and are billed for something expensive. When you refuse to pay, they call the police and tell the police something in Chinese that gets you arrested. They could say that you caused a disturbance, stole, etc. You can’t speak Chinese so, the police aren’t going to understand your side of the story.

The Tea House

The tea house scam is another popular one. I have not had this issue but, I have heard from other foreigners who have.

This scam also involves a young, English speaking Chinese person approaching you. They strike up a conversation and then invite you to drink tea. Often, they will claim that they want to practice English with you.

At the tea house, you and your new “friend” will order several tiny pots of tea. Sometimes you see a menu and sometimes you don’t. However, in the end, you are given a bill for a ridiculous amount, maybe the equivalent of $500.00. When you refuse to pay, the owner will have either their security people threaten you or they call the police on you. By this time, your “friend” has disappeared on their way to the restroom and you’re on your own.

I’ve also heard that sometimes, the “friend” acts shocked too and will offer to split the bill with you. This, apparently, makes some people feel less like they are being taken advantage of. So, they pay and their “friend” pretends to pay too. However, the “friend” is in on it and isn’t paying anything.


To me, it seems like the moral of the story is this: beware of anyone who is too eager to hang out with you. No one is that friendly or that desperate to practice their English. 

Your mother was right!
__________


No comments:

Post a Comment