Monday, June 30, 2014

Question: Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands?

Before I came to China, I read several books on Chinese culture. One question I had was if Chinese people bowed. According to the books I read, Chinese people both bow and shake hands, depending on the situation. Well, that’s wrong. I’ve been in China for 10 months now and I haven’t seen any Chinese people bow as a greeting or as a goodbye. In fact, they bow as often as Americans do. The only time I’ve seen a Chinese people bow is at the end of a performance.

While Chinese people don’t bow, they do shake hands. The handshake, however, is different than in the US. Americans like a firm, hearty handshake. That kind of handshake would make people uncomfortable here. In China, people use a gentle, brief handshake. The best I can think of is that the handshake is more like what I’ve experienced with old ladies at church, a sort of soft, clasping of the hands. It’s not the type of handshake you would do at a business meeting.


Since I read that people bow in China, I went around Beijing bowing like I did in Korea. I did this for a few days. People gave me the same looks I would have gotten in the US; until I finally got the message and stopped. Don’t be like me. It makes people think you’re crazy. 

Presidents Barack Obama and Hu Jintao will try to patch up frayed economic ties when they meet in Washington this week.
President Obama and Former President Hu shake hands in 2011.
__________

No comments:

Post a Comment