Monday, October 7, 2013

Time for a Nap!

At first glance, it doesn’t seem like China and Spain would have anything in common but, they do. Both countries have siestas. As someone working in China, I really enjoy this part of Chinese culture. My school gives us 2 ½ hours for lunch. This is so the kindergarteners have time to eat, clean up, change, nap, and change again. Now, this is a little longer than usual. Most companies that provide naptime only give two hours for lunch and napping. Mine is longer because my students are young.

Many people believe that napping is for the lazy. I have not noticed any decrease in productivity. From what I have seen, some places, like restaurants, have a modified naptime. The employees sit at tables and put their heads down but, they get up if a customer comes in. I haven’t encountered a place that is entirely shut down for two hours a day. However, I could see this happening in a smaller city.


The tradition of naptime is slowly dying out in China. I hope this doesn’t happen because I have found that kindergarteners, and their teachers, all need naps. 

How to Take the Perfect Nap

1 comment:

  1. The Japanese have embraced employer-sanctioned naps as a way to boost worker productivity. It is also beneficial for mood and energy later on in the day.

    ReplyDelete